An Ips / Engraver Beetle can attack Pine trees and other species of short to long needle evergreens that are native or transplanted.
IPS Beetles have multiple life cycles and flight periods throughout the summer season. Ips Beetles are devastating to a tree that is not in the healthiest of condition.
Which trees are susceptible?
The most susceptible trees are those that have had alterations made to their environment by construction within the last ten years; for example, root damage, fill added over root systems, natural water drainage rerouted, grass planted and maintained underneath the trees. Trees affected with construction alterations are generally the most aesthetically valuable trees to landscape settings. Drought, fire damage, and overpopulation also weaken valuable trees.
To maintain valuable Pine and Spruce Trees, the following steps should be taken:
- Identify which trees have great aesthetic value to your property.
- The valuable trees should be deeply watered once a month during the growing season. Lawn watering will not suffice.
- Your transplanted or small natural trees should be deep root fertilized in the Fall or early Spring until they reach maturity. Fertilize mature trees every two to three years to maintain a healthy tree. Lawn fertilization is not adequate.
- Valuable trees should be sprayed every year with Sevin XLR, Astro, or Onyx per label directions. These residual sprays will protect the trees through the entire growing season. Spraying for prevention of Bark Beetle or Ips Beetle is imperative after any type of damage is done to a healthy tree. For example; construction, car hitting a tree, drought, etc. Systemic injection of fertilizer will increase health and vigor to unthrifty or construction damaged trees.
If your tree has had a beetle attack:
- Trees that have been attacked may need to be removed.
- To prevent further attacks a preventive spray should be applied by certified professionals to desirable trees.
- Water thoroughly once a month.
- Fertilize this Fall to enhance vigor.
Contact us to consult with an expert or sign up for a Tree Spray by our certified professionals!